Friday, June 6, 2014

"I Deserve" Syndrom

The I deserve syndrome:

Do you have it? Probably most everyone does.  “I deserve a raise”, “I deserve a vacation”, “I deserve respect”, “I deserve a break”, “I deserve a promotion”, “I deserve a better grade”… Honestly if we all got what we really deserved we would be a pretty sorrowful people. 

I do have to admit, there are times you may deserve something.  Maybe you’re the guy who works harder than the rest and your performance matches perfection.   If you are that guy you probably deserve the raise and promotion.  Maybe you’re the vacation bible school volunteer who has spent all your energy on other people’s kids all week.  If you are that guy you probably deserve a break. 

It is pretty easy to get caught up in the “I deserve” mind set, mostly because we think more of ourselves than we ought to.  Christians, I need you to soak in what I am about to share.   For one, if you are truly in Christ then you already know what you deserve, and so do I.  When we get caught up in the “I deserve” mindset, we quickly lose focus of the “I desire” mindset.  “I deserve” focus is self-righteous and prideful.  The “I desire” focus is servant-righteous and humble.  “I deserve” is all about me, “I desire” is all about Christ.  “I deserve” will always stand in the way of the “I desire” life. 

Do you desire God’s will for your life?   If so, do not allow “I deserve” to cloud your “I desire.”  The Book of Romans address’s this very issue in chapter 12.   It teaches that we are not to think more highly of ourselves than we ought to and to use sober judgment.

Romans: 12:3 For by the grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the measure of faith God has given you.

No comments:

Post a Comment