Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Even a Good Cheesecake Won't Last


A few years ago while I was in Nicaragua on a mission trip, I met a very wealthy American businessman.  I was ordering coffee in the local coffee shop when a voice behind me said, "hey, you are an American."  I turned around and there stood a very distinguished well-dressed older man.  After we introduced ourselves to one another, he then asked why I was in Nicaragua.  I proceeded to explain that I was on a mission trip and asked if he was a Christian.  He politely replied, "I am not a religious person, but I do respect you and I do believe in God."  I then went on to explain the purpose of the mission trip I was a part of. 

I shared how I was with RHEMA (Ron Herrod Evangelical Missions Association.  RHEMA trains men to become pastors and assists them in establishing churches.  The mission team comes and provides street ministry, social ministry, prison outreach, school outreach, medical missions, crusades, church services and other ministry related services.  I explained how RHEMA comes not only to provide immediate assistance, but ultimately leave something that will last.  RHEMA's goal is to train pastors, plant churches, and reach the lost for Christ.

After sharing the man responded, 'You are giving a lot of yourselves obviously. I like how you are not just coming and going, but you are leaving these people with something that will last."  I said, "yes sir, what good we would have accomplished if all we did was temporary?"  He replied, "I have done a lot of good in my life time, I even use to own a cheesecake factory and I gave away a lot of cheesecakes in my time."  I smiled and said, "Even a good cheese cake won't last long." 

I then asked if I could share the gospel with him and sadly, he said, "No thank you."  I proceeded with my story of the mission trip I was on and then quickly went on to share how I shared the gospel with the people of Nicaragua.  Yes, he heard the gospel anyway.  I just had to be creative about it.  When I was finished he told me; "I have never heard about God that way before, I think I get it now.  I need to really think about this."  I asked if he wanted to accept Christ as LORD and Savior.  He said; "Not right now, I really need to think about it.  But what you shared makes so much sense."

 


Matthew 6:20 But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal.

May my life be the proof and evidence of Christ's love!

No comments:

Post a Comment