Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Disbelieving professed believer?

Are you a disbelieving professed believer?  Do you profess to be a believer in Jesus Christ but your actions exhibit disbelief?

I have been a youth minister for nearly 5 years now and a christian for over 20 years.  The other day I asked our youth; "what did I preach on Wednesday night?"  Out of the group only a small portion raised their hands.  The ones who did not remember were all professed Christians.  Is this true for the church as a whole?

I got to thinking about the church as a whole myself included.  How many times have I forgotten what that really awesome message was about?  How man times was I challenged to take my faith to the next level only to keep my life status quo.  Am I known for applying and acting upon Gods word?  Is the church as a whole becoming more and more like Christ?  Or are we maintaining status quo?

Jesus speaks I this very problem in the book of John.  He says to the religious leaders; "you diligently study scriptures because you think that by them you have eternal life." (John 6:39).  Do we think we have eternal life because we own a bible and go to church?  If so we are just as wrong as the religious leaders of Jesus's time.  

Jesus concludes by saying; "if you believed mosses you would believe me, for he wrote about me.  47 but since you do not believe what he wrote, how are you going to believe what I say?"  (John 5:46-47).  I don't know about your church, but my pastor is the godliest man I know.  He faithfully brings the word of God every week and throughout each day.  He doesn't preach his version of the gospel, he professes and proclaims the whole word of God as inspired by the spirit of God.  If I truly believe my pastor yet never remember, apply, or even change then by my actions I am a disbeliever.  If I really believe I would react and respond I the word of God.

Praise the LORD I am a believing professed believer in Jesus Christ.  I'm not perfect but I am growing and evolving.  I'm not forgetting and I am reacting.  

Are you a disbelieving professed believer?  I hope not.  Gods word is true and his promises never fail.  

#god #godsword #jesus #jesuschrist #christ #christian #bible #bibleverse #scripture #salvation #church #faithful #faith #hope #love #gospel

No comments:

Post a Comment