Saturday, February 23, 2013

Sacrificing Without Defect or Stench

I was reading in my quiet time the book of Leviticus. Chapter 1 starts off with Burnt offerings. A few things caught my attention and got me thinking. Here is what the LORD shared with me:

First, offerings were to be without defect. It got me thinking; without defect would mean it was the best. Am I giving God my best? Or am I giving Him what I have with flaws? Flaws like holding back in quality or quantity, giving but grudgingly so, offering out of duty but not desire or devotion... Am I really giving my best without defect?

Secondly, what got me thinking was the offering made by fire. If an offering is made by fire, then that means you don't get it back. Am I giving to the LORD with no anticipation of getting back? If I'm giving an offering and expecting return, then I am not offering or sacrificing anything. In fact I am making an investment hoping for a better return. Will the LORD bless me for giving, offering and sacrificing? Yes He will if I give without defect that is. Expecting return is a defect in giving. Me personally, I give and sacrifice because of what Christ has already done for me. I deserve no return.

Thirdly, the phrase "an aroma pleasing to the LORD" made me think as well. Now I have received gifts before and my first thought honestly was "wow really this stinks." Is God thinking the same thing with the giving, offering, and sacrifices we are or are not making?

Fast forward now to the new testament era, after all that is the era we live in. Thank goodness we don't have to make blood sacrifices anymore. However what we are called to offer and sacrifice is so much harder. Why? Well because we are not called on offer up outside of ourselves. Sure it's easier to give of a life that is not yours, especially an animal. But to give up yourself, yea that's hard. Sacrifice of our time, talents, personal income, deeds, desires, service, sleep, days off, pride, daily living... As Christians, we are called to die to sin, take up the cross of Christ upon ourselves, we are literally called to sacrifice ourselves and live for Jesus Christ. Do it with defect, reap with defect. Do it begrudgingly, reap begrudgingly. Do it stinkingly, reap stinkingly. Get the point?

May I recommend giving, offering, sacrificing, whatever it is do it at your best. Do it without expectations, and make sure the LORD doesn't think "wow, that stinks!" When you sacrifice without defect, without expectations, nothing stinks about that. Although it will cost your life, the rewards are eternal! Besides, Jesus Christ already died for you, what more could you give?

Exodus 1:3,8 ...without defect,...an offering made by fire, an aroma pleasing to the LORD.

No comments:

Post a Comment