Monday, May 13, 2013

Compromising Faith and Ministry is Not Negotiable:

During the spring of 2010, Carri and I had to make a very difficult decision.  This decision had a direct impact on our financial future, the security of our home and our family.  Like most people we made our mistakes and as a result placed ourselves in bondage to debt.  I am not proud of it and wish I knew then what I know now.  Never place yourself in bondage to debt.

The effects of Huntington's disease had taken enough toll on Carri mentally and emotionally, that her job as a nursing instructor had become too much.  We knew that this day was going to come. Our hope is that it would be after our children were grown and graduated. Guess what? It did not wait.  After a season of sincere prayer, Carri and I both agreed that it was time for her to resign the teaching position that she held at the local college.  Carri had been teaching students to become registered nurses for over ten years.

After making the decision that Carri would resign, I began the pursuit for another job.  We both knew that if we were going to survive financially, I was going to have to have a second income.  We also were going to have to find a way to pay off a huge amount of irresponsible debt.  Prior to Carri’s resignation, our household income was pretty much split 50/50.  Yes, we were living check to check.  The scary part of this decision; knowing we were going to lose half of our income.

The first thing we did was cash in Carri's retirement savings.  We saw no other option other than bankruptcy.  Bankruptcy was not an option.  We acquired the debt; we were responsible for paying that debt back.  It was hard closing her retirement account, but it was rewarding at the same time.  Cashing out retirement early does not come without a significant penalty.  We lost about half of the money to penalties, fees and increased taxes.  Our financial advisor advised strongly against cashing in this account.  She understood how great the financial loss would be. In spite of what seemed logical, in our hearts we knew paying off debt was the right thing to do.  We had to take the loss in order to ensure our future.  More importantly the ministry God had given us.  In paying off most of our debt, we had a piece of mind.  A large portion of the debt we owed had been redeemed.

Paying off most of our debt was still not good enough.  It was going to take more than that to manage our mortgage, utilities, and keep food on our table.  I began to working extra with my current employer as an RN and a medic.   Carri accepted a part time job with a Hospice program.  That may seem like more stress, but it has actually become a ministry for Carri.  She can relate to dying and has something more to offer.   At the same time I was also searching for a second job.  It seemed like every opportunity I found had a direct impact on my ability to continue leading youth group on Wednesday nights and Sunday morning bible classes.

Needless to say, I became extremely frustrated.  I knew in my heart God had called me to ministry.  I remember thinking; “If God had called me to ministry then why would He take me out of it because of the need for income?”  He wouldn't.  I began to pray; "Lord you know my needs, and I trust in you to provide.  Committing to a job that involves working on Wednesdays and Sundays in not an option. I refuse to compromise the ministry you have called me to."  Let me tell you, that prayer and vow pretty much eliminated every plausible option I had for a stable income.  There were no other options left.  Yes I became stressed and worried.  I had no idea how I was going to provide for my family.  I was willing to sell all we had in order to make it happen.  However, some things you just can't sell.  Like medical debt.  Over the previous few years and even recent months we had acquired medical debt that weighed a heavy burden on us financially.  Like every other debt, we were going to pay back what we owed and still owe.

I was sincere in my vow that I was not going to compromise the ministry God had called me to.  Even in my sincerity, I also needed a sign. I was hoping for something only God could reveal to me assuring that I was being faithful and doing the right thing.  Randomly one Sunday after church services, our pastor said he needed to talk to me.  I thought for sure he knew the problems we faced and he was going to find a youth pastor to fill my role.  Someone who could be more committed and less strained.  To my surprise he said this "The church affirms your call to ministry and we want to ordain you into the ministry.”  Now that was a sign!  He went on to say; “We also want to hire you part time.  We cannot afford to pay you much, but we feel led to pay you something."  "WOW!" I was thinking, “Are you serious?” Tears poured out of my eyes.  It was so surreal, my mind was questioning; “Did I really just receive the sign I had asked God for?  Yes I did!”

Matthew 6:31-34 So do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' 32 For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. 33 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. 34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own


Easter Sunday April 4, 2010 I was ordained into the ministry.   It was one of the greatest highlights in my life.  Sure things are tough, but that does not matter.  The investment Carri and I are now making is not in a retirement, it is not in things that will fall apart, waste away or be destroyed.  We are investing in something money cannot buy.  We are committed to investing into people’s lives.
 
 

The picture is me sharing the gospel with some children during a MFUGE mission trip to Santa Fe, New Mexico. I was using an evangicube.  The Boy next to me is playing with it. 

Matthew 6:19-21  "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. 20 But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also

May my life be the proof and evidence of Christ’s love!

No comments:

Post a Comment