Monday, May 27, 2013

Memorial Day 2013


Recently I was blessed to visit the war memorials in Washington DC and Arlington Cemetery.  I never imagined what would come over me as I approached each of the memorials and entered through the gates of Arlington.  There was this sense of awe and raw emotion.  It was so surreal as images went through my mind of men and women in the military were dying for me.  Each of the thousands of lives was willingly given to protect the freedom of a fellow country man they did not even know.  Many gave their lives before I ever existed.  Every one of them willingly paid the ultimate price to protect the country they loved.  A country founded on Godly principle and religious freedom. I love what Abraham Lincoln said during the Gettysburg Address “this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom -- and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.   I am not writing this to debate any religion, I am writing this to honor those who died for you and for me. 

To all those who have gone before me into the eternal, I say thank you.  My words will never be enough. My hope and prayer is that my life will honor those who have died for me.  Thousands gave their lives for those they didn’t even know; past, present and future.  They all died for friends, family and fellow countrymen.  May my life be worthy in honoring your ultimate sacrifice.

I writing this, I would not be justified if I also did not honor the one who not only died for His friends, but His enemies as well.  Over two thousand years ago Jesus Christ, God’s one true son willingly gave up His life to save those from not a temporary but an eternal war.  A war between sin and salvation.  He died to bring us freedom from the penalty of our sin.  He died to set you free.  Free from the bondage of sin and the gates of Hell.  Will you honor Christ as well? Not just with words, but with a life worthy of His ultimate sacrifice to set you free.
I took both pictures at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier in Arlington National Cemetery.
 

 

John 15:13 Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends.

Romans 5:10 For if, when we were God's enemies, we were reconciled to him through the death of his Son, how much more, having been reconciled, shall we be saved through his life! 

May my life be the proof and evidence of Christ’s Love!

No comments:

Post a Comment