Wednesday, January 2, 2013

What Will Be Said Of Me When I Die?


If you died today, what would people say?

 If today was your last day in this world, what impact would your life had made? 

What would be said at your funeral?

Would your eulogy be based on truth or just feel good words in an attempt to make others feel better?

Pastors all around the world have or will have preached about New Year's resolutions.  Honestly, 90% of resolutions fail. Most are based on looking better on the outside, what others perceive.  Having nothing to do with changes on the inside.   Many refuse to change what needs changed the most in order to be successful.  Changes from the heart, changes in lifestyle, and changes in friends. 

I have to wonder how motivating a resolution is if it is based on a year.  After all resolutions are made to better a life.  If that is true, then should your resolutions be motivated by your life or rather your death? 

Here are a couple true epitaphs to consider:

Here lies my wife: here let her lie Now she's at rest, and so am I.
*****
Come blooming youths, as you pass by, And on these lines do cast an eye.  As you are now, so once was I; As I am now, so must you be; Prepare for death and follow me.  Which is not funny at all. But underneath, someone had added: To follow you, I am not content, How do I know, Which way you went. 
*****
I plant these shrubs upon your grave dear wife, That something on this spot may boast of life.Shrubs must wither and all earth must rot.  Shrubs may revive, but you thank heaven will not. 
*****
Here lies Ned.  There is nothing more to be said-- 
*****

Think about the deaths of those who made a positive impact in this world.  Deaths of those you know.  I can list several I know personally.  The ones that have made the most impact for the good are those whose lives were lived for Christ. 

Here are some so-called epitaphs or eulogies to consider:

Noah -  Gen 6:22 Noah did everything just as God commanded him

Abraham - Gen 15:6 Abram believed the LORD, and he credited it to him as righteousness.

Joseph- Gen 41:38 "Can we find anyone like this man, one in whom is the spirit of God?"

Soloman - Neh 13:26 Among the many nations there was no king like him. He was loved by his God, and God made him king over all Israel, but even he was led into sin by foreign women.

John the Baptist - Mt 11:11 I tell you the truth: Among those born of women there has not risen anyone greater than John the Baptist; yet he who is least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he.

Paul - Phil 1:21 For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain.

Enoch - Gen 5:24 Enoch walked with God, and then he disappeared  because God took  him away.

Elisha - 2 kings 2:11 As they were walking along and talking, suddenly a fiery chariot  pulled by fiery horses appeared.  They went between Elijah and Elisha,  and Elijah went up to heaven in a windstorm.

Sunset off the coast of Maui

What will be said of me when I die?

I do not know about you, but when I leave this world
I want my life to have been the proof and evidence of His love!

No comments:

Post a Comment