Thursday, April 18, 2013

Brokeness is Where Healing Begins


My friend who I was talking about in my post titled “Good v. Evil” became completely broken and depressed after accepting Christ into her life.  It is amazing how your perspective changes when your eyes, ears, and heart are focused on and through the Lord.  It is when the Holy Spirit from within us begins to reveal the truth about us that we become broken and even depressed.  It is not that God is trying to shame us; He is merely breaking us in order to sanctify us. 

It was after accepting Christ as her Lord and Savior that my friend began to see her life for what it really was and had been.  God began to expose the hurt and pain she suffered from abuse.  He also began to convict her of the sins she currently had.  Some of the brokenness produced anger. Why did God allow these things to happen?  Some of the brokenness produced shame.  What have I done, and why am I doing these things?  When we are truly convicted by the Holy Spirit, we all think and feel the same way. 

God has a way of showing us our reflection in the mirror of Christ through His eyes.  What we see is our hurts, pains, emotional wounds, physical wounds, ugliness, brokenness, shamefulness, regrets, filthiness, and maybe even disgust.  We begin to see our life for what it really is.  Most of us hate what we see.  What we see is His truth.  We become convicted and feel His call to repentance.  We develop a desire for His mercy and grace that can only be found in redemption.  We see what Christ has done for us and feel ashamed.  The shame we feel can drive us into depression.  It can hurt enough that all we want to do is die and enter into a life with Him.  We want to die so we won’t hurt and wont mess up anymore.

I came into work one morning, and immediately I knew something was not right.  I did not know what it was, but I had this sickening feeling inside of me that I could not get over.  My partner that day was someone different.  I went to our dispatch and asked, "where is my normal partner?”  The response "she called in sick last night."  It was not an audible voice that I heard next, but it was very loud and clear.  "Go to her house and get her."  That message could not have been any clearer than someone standing before me and saying it out loud.

I had no idea where she lived other than the name of the town, a very small wide-spread rural town.  I went to my boss and explained that something was wrong and I needed to leave and go to her house.  He said "I have no idea where she lives; the only address on file is a PO Box."  He asked, "Why are you so sure you need to go?"  I said, "Because God said so."  He looked slightly puzzled, I'm sure he had never heard that before.  I then said, "If you won’t let me go, I will quit my job! It is that serious."  He then gave me permission to take my new partner and the ambulance to find her.

No one had any idea of where we would find her house, other than the name of the town.  My partner asked "How do you think we will find her?"  I said "Prayer."  I prayed and we set out on our journey.  Amazingly, God led us directly to her home.  We were driving down a backwoods dirt road when I caught a glimpse of her truck, so immediately we turned into the driveway.

I knocked on the door, no answer. I rang the bell relentlessly, no answer.  I checked all the doors, every door was locked.  We noticed a barn, so my partner went to the barn but found no one.  Just as I was about to kick the front door in, it slowly opened on its own.  I pushed the door the rest of the way open and there swaying in the hallway was my friend.  Her skin was pale, speech slurred, pupils dilated, and she was about to fall over.  Just as I got to her she began to fall so I caught her and set her down.  She had overdosed on medication.  She could not stand to live the life she had been living and she could not accept the hurts she had been through.  All she wanted was to leave this world and rest in the arms of God.

Brokenness, this is where healing begins.  In our brokenness, God can remove the parts of our lives that He does not desire.  These are the things we must repent from.  The sin we must rid our lives of.  When we are broken, God can take our wounds upon himself and heal them.  Only when we are shattered can God take the pieces He desires and put us back together again.  Brokenness is being wholly and completely surrendered to the Lord and resting in His arms.  Jesus says “Unless you repent, you too will perish.”  This kind of repentance means you die to yourself and begin to live in Christ. 

Yes it hurts when we finally see ourselves for who we are, it should hurt.  If we don’t realize how messed up and hurt we are, then how can we ever get better?  You don’t need a doctor until you realize you are sick, therefore you don’t know you need Jesus until you realize you are messed up and lost without Him.  God’s desire is not to shame us and tear us down. He desires to free us from our sin and shame so He can lift us up in Jesus’ name.
 
The picture is of an old rusted car in Montana.  Some will see it as junk, others will see it as a treasure to be restored.  So many antique cars have been bought as junk, restored only to become priceless in someone else's eyes.  I can't help but believe God sees us this way.
 
 
 

1 Peter 5:6-8
 Humble yourselves, therefore, under God's mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time. Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you. Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.
 
May my life be the proof and evidence of Christ’s love!

No comments:

Post a Comment