Sunday, April 7, 2013

You are Going to Lose Your Baby


Everything seemed to be going fairly well after our spontaneous move to Arkansas. We were living in our first home, we both had decent full time jobs, and Carri was pregnant with our second child. Baby number two was due July 1994. Quite honestly, about the only thing missing was the white picket fence around our yard. Other than that, we were living that dream life. We had friends, family, church, a small house in the country, and a dog. What more could you ask for.

A few months before our baby was due, Carri began having some problems. She was having pain, and some minor bleeding. We were not too concerned, but we knew enough that it was not normal. The symptoms she was having continued to get worse, so we decided it was time to have her checked by a doctor.

I was working when the doctor sent Carri to the hospital to have an ultrasound. I talked to the guys I was working with and they all said, "Go be with your wife, we will cover you. Come back as soon as you can." So, I took the offer and went with Carri to her ultrasound. It was kind of strange, because the tech did not want me in the room while they were doing the procedure. I was not too happy, I wanted to see the babies heart beat and face if I could. The tech said no, I could not go this time.

Something just did not seem right, so I went and talked to one of my ER doctor friends. She said, "I will go down to radiology and see what I can find out." Dr. Ash was gone a little longer than I thought she should have been, but I figured she was side tracked. After what seemed like an eternity, maybe 45-60 minutes Dr. Ash returned. I could tell something was wrong by the look on her face. She said this; "Bill, I am so sorry, Carri has an abrupted placenta and she is going to lose the baby. You need to take your wife home and prepare yourselves for what is going to happen."

Wow! I felt like every positive emotion I had just melted away. I was left standing there completely empty. Then, pain and sorrow began to fill me up. Tears flowed from my eyes. I felt completely helpless. I remember thinking; Why would God take something so precious away from us? We were doing all the right things. I gave my life to Him, we moved for Him, we dedicated our first child to Him; we were faithfully attending church… Helpless and hopeless is how I felt. I had to take my wife home so we could lose our baby. After Carri and I held each other and cried, we went home.

After we got home, this is what we did, we prayed. We told God that this baby was His just like the first child He blessed us with. Then we said, "God this is your baby, if you want to take her home you can. However, we are asking for a miracle. If you allow us to keep this child, she will be yours and we will raise her along with the first in a Christian home. We will do everything we can to teach them your ways and show them who you are. Our children will always be dedicated to you."

July 20, 1994 our second baby girl was born. She was as healthy as any parent could hope. Today, she is a very godly woman, who is passionate about finding God's will for her life. We are so proud of who she is and what she has allowed God to do in her life. We are blessed with all the children God has given us. They all have a true heart for the Lord.


The picture is the beautiful baby we should have lost, serving on the mission field in Nicaragua, taking care of babies!

We did and said just as Hannah when she dedicated Samuel to the Lord.

I Samuel 1:27-28 I prayed for this child, and the LORD has granted me what I asked of him. 28 So now I give him to the LORD. For his whole life he will be given over to the LORD."


May my life be the proof and evidence of Christ's love!

No comments:

Post a Comment