Thursday, April 4, 2013

Jesus Says Follow Me, He Didn't Ask to Follow You

Why do we get the idea in our heads and think that we know better than God does. When we pray, we typically tell Him what to do. We pray things like heal this sickness, I need to make more money, and so on. One of my favorites “Bless this food to nourish my body, in Jesus name amen!” As if, God is going to take your extra large fast food high fat, high calorie meal and turn it into manna, I think not.

A big thing we tell God is where we want to and need to go. God does not work that way. He did not do it in the Old Testament with the Israelites, and He did not do it in the New Testament either. As a matter of fact, He pretty much leads people to places that just do not make sense. The Israelites He led into the desert. His disciples he always said "come follow me." He never said, “Hey guys, can I come with you and make you disciples.” He leads us to some of the most unlikely places that simply just do not make sense. That is until we get there and we can look back. Hindsight is always 20/20.

1992, was the year our oldest daughter Kenzie was born. Having a child really makes you look at things from a different perspective. We faced Hurricane Andrew in south Florida just a few days after she was born. That will open your eyes and make you consider a safer place to live in order to protect your family from devastation. But something else caught my attention even more. I was working for Broward County Fire Rescue during that time, and I began to notice something even more disturbing. I was witnessing firsthand the escalating rate of crime, drug trafficking, gang violence, and domestic abuse. We were living in a place that was becoming a war zone. Home robberies were becoming more common, crack cocaine and other drug related incidents were on the rise, drive by shootings and other gang related violence was occurring daily and domestic abuse was everywhere. The overwhelming thought; “This is no place to raise a child”, consumed our minds daily. We knew it was time to go somewhere, but where? So we began to pray, seeking God's direction.

During the summer of 1993, we felt God leading us to a small town in Arkansas. Carri had family living there, so we went for a visit. While visiting the area we also searched for jobs. Carri seemed to be able to find a job everywhere she went. I could not find a job no matter how hard I begged. I was very discouraged because I felt God was leading us to Arkansas. If He was leading us there, then why could I not find a job? Carri’s income was certainly not going to be enough. We were going to need both our incomes in order to just make ends meet.

Carri and I spent a few sleepless nights just praying and asking for God’s direction and a sign. All He would give us is the burden within our hearts to move. There was no other sign. Arkansas that is where He was leading us. Move to Arkansas, with no job except Carri’s. Lose half our income and no other way to pay or bills or make ends meet. Oh and spend all we have to move there and have nothing left when we arrived. It did not make sense, but God said move, so we did. A few weeks later, we were moving into the basement of Carri’s aunt and uncle’s house with our 1-year-old baby.

What we did not know then is what God was going to do with us once we arrived. I am certain for one, God was looking for obedience. Obedience is hard especially when it makes no sense and it does not seem rational. But God knew our needs and He provided. Within two weeks, I had a full time job and a few months later, I was managing an ambulance service making more money than I ever dreamed and Carri no longer had to work. Money is not everything and I no longer have that job, but that is yet another God story.

As I continue sharing my story, you will see how this step of obedience was a crucial part of God's will for our lives. I encourage you, if God says go, go don't question why even when it makes no sense. Trust in The Lord and you will be blessed!

The picture is of me on my first foreign mission trip to Satu Mare, Romania. Notice the Hog's scrub top! This trip never would have happened if we chose not to follow Christ to Arkansas.

Matthew 16:24 Then Jesus said to his disciples, "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me.

Philippians 4:19 and my God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus.

May my life be the proof and evidence of Christ's love!

No comments:

Post a Comment