Thursday, April 25, 2013

Luke Warm Complacent Christianity and Hitting Hopeless Rock Bottom

The stories I have shared so far about what I have seen and experience God do is just a small sample. You probably think that I would have had a unstoppable fire for the Lord just through the few things I have shared. The reality is no. Sure I had spiritual highs when I thought I could conquer Hell with a water pistol, but those highs were short lived. The things I had been doing had become routine. Even in the routine of going through the motions there were still times when I was burning hot spiritually. Those times were associated with the emotionally exciting events centered around MFUGE and Church camp experiences.

My spiritual life as a whole had really become luke warm and complacent. I had become comfortable in what I was doing. In my mind, I was doing more than most people. So with that said, I was better off. I was paying my dues by volunteering in Sunday school, vacation bible school, church camp, and MFUGE. I went to church most Sunday mornings. I even graced the church with my presence on Wednesday and Sunday nights, when it was convenient for me.

So how did I become so luke warm and complacent? I think it was because I had become comfortable. For the most part, everything was going well. We had no real significant needs and we were managing things comfortably on our own. My wife was happy, I was happy, the kids were healthy, work was good, Carri had a job, we were able to keep our home, and everyone was getting along. We had no real sense of urgency or great need. I was viewing life through rose colored glasses. I was justifying my spiritual success by comparing it to others who seemed less committed. So as long as I was doing more then God must be more pleased.

As far as my faith I was neither hot or cold, I was just like I said, I was luke warm and complacent. I was not doing anything to grow spiritually or mature in the faith. Neither was I really doing anything to reach others for Christ, including my own children. What better place spiritually can satan get someone? When we are complacent we are quiet, unnoticed, and idle. Being luke warm and complacent achieves nothing for the cause of Christ.

looking back, I am certain Jesus wanted to spit me out. He must have been frustrated and disappointed at my state of spiritual being. He had taken me to amazing places, showed me incredible things, and used me to achieve His glory. With all that said, how did I show my appreciation? I did not, I became idle and lazy instead. I was partially committed to attending church and slightly better than average at serving. However my faith had become mostly private. I was justified in my own eyes by simply going through the motions. Going through the motions meant I had no real dependence on Christ. My faith had become nothing more than partially committed ritualistic religious practices, highlighted by occasional acts of service.

What I needed was for God to put me in a place where I had no other choice but to depend on Him. So why does it take hitting rock bottom where neither you or anyone else can help before someone will totally trust in Christ? It is when you hit rock bottom and become completely helpless that you either turn to or turn away from the one who can rescue you. It becomes a choice of living or dying. It is so easy for a christian to become spiritualy dead. Spiritually dead is that luke warm place we often find ourselves. To be spiritually alive, we must have the same mind, heart and soul as Paul describes in Phillipians 1:21 For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain.

What I did not know at this point in my life is that God was about to get my attention. My wife and I were about to hit rock bottom with only two choices, one turn from Christ and die spiritually or completely depend on Christ and live. I am so glad He did not spit me out. Never do I want to become useless to my Lord. In my next story I will share how God brought our family to rock bottom in order to get our attention. We were literally taken to a place where there was NO HOPE, except through Him.

The picture is of a guy sleeping on a statue in front of Union Station, Washington DC.


Revelations 3:16 So, because you are lukewarm--neither hot nor cold--I am about to spit you out of my mouth.

May my life be the proof and evidence of Christ love!

No comments:

Post a Comment