Monday, October 15, 2012

Challenge Accepted


     Carri and I had become best friends.  The awkward thing for me was Carri setting me up on dates with her friends.  What I did not know is that Carri thought to herself that I was out of her league.  How crazy a thought was that?  Gorgeous blue-eyed captain of the flag corps blonde thinks a lowly, shy, under achieving brokenhearted wimp is out of her league.  Now that is humility, on her part.

     I always hoped that we would date someday, but if friendship was all I could have that was good enough for me.  After all, this girl was making something happen in my heart that I just never felt before.  I really liked it.  I am not talking about lustful thoughts or even infatuation.  It was genuine acceptance, concern and unconditional love.  My family made me feel that way, but you expect that.  I took that for granted.  This was just so different; this was a friend who did not have to be that way.

     The opportunity I had been waiting for finally arrived.    All I wanted was the chance to have an actual date with just Carri and me. 

     Carri was sitting in her ford truck in front of my house after dropping me off.  I was leaning in the driver's window and we were just talking.  I was trying to find the confidence to ask the big question, "Will you go on a date with me?"  Then Carri out of total random thought says, "You know these are 24 inch rims."  I looked down and thought, "Yep she is right."  My response to her random statement was, "no they are not."  Immediately she responds, "Do you want to bet?" Challenge accepted.  I responded without hesitation, "Sure, if you are right I will buy you dinner and a movie, if I am right you can buy dinner and a movie."  With the cutest smirk on her face she said, "Ok the bet is on."  Long story short Carri won the bet, which I already knew she would.  I just wanted a date.  Carri then leaned out her window, kissed me on the lips and then immediately sped off. 
     What I had found, but did not understand was unconditonal love.  This kind of love is found in Christ.
 
 
This is actually my daughter and her husband on a beach at Sanabel Island, florida.

I Corinthians 13:1-3  If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 3 If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing.
 
May my life be the proof and evidence of His love. 

1 comment:

  1. Isn't it awesome that when we have no one else...we always have Jesus!!
    Even a loving spouse will never take the place of Jesus! We are so blessed, Bill, to have both!! We had 1 Cor. 13 read during our wedding nearly 42 years ago. Good words then, even better words now! God's Word is always truth!!

    ReplyDelete