Sunday, October 7, 2012

My gateway to being bullied


I was born with a kidney defect that prevented me from being able to control my bladder.  I honestly do not remember exactly what was wrong, but I know I had to have surgery to correct the problem.    Long story short, I had a bladder control problem and it did not go unnoticed.  It was not uncommon for me to wet my bed at night and even wet my pants at school.  Word got around pretty quick, for obvious reasons, that I was a bed wetter and a baby.  This title was the gateway to bullying.  I remember the verbal teasing, the chasing, pushing, and even hitting that occurred on the playground and after school.  In elementary school, I distinctly remember a tire maze that was more of a trap for me.  After a few attempts to go in and enjoy its complexity, I quickly learned it was not a safe place.  The tire maze, it was a trap for the timid and a safe haven for bullies.  The bullies, they could do and say whatever they wanted within the sanctuary of their tire fortress.  You see teachers could not see or hear what was going on very well within this labyrinth of terror.  However, my avoiding the tires was not the solution to my problem.  Hindsight, it made things worse.   Avoidance only proved I was a wimp and I was afraid.  Truth was it only made me a more desirable target.   Not only was my bladder a problem, so was my self esteem.  I had little to no confidence and therefore I had no courage.  I was the kid who could strike out in t-ball.  When it came to neighborhood games and picking teams, I was always the last.  Well actually most of the time I was told things like, "We have enough", "and we do not need you".   On the rare occasion I did get to play, I usually heard things like, "you suck", "you stink", and "we do not want you on our team".  Because of my problems, I was extremely shy and timid.  The one thing I know I was good at was running.  I ran home every day from school.  I did not run for fun, I ran for my life.  That my friends made me very fast and gave me endurance like a bloody gazelle running from a pack of cheetahs.    I could go on and on about my experiences of bullying.  That is not really, what is important about this story.  What is important is the effects bullying had on me mentally and socially.  The message that I heard and believed was this:  "nobody likes you", "nobody wants you", "nobody cares", and" you will never amount to anything".  One regret I have is that I never really ever told my parents what I was going through.  The two people who loved me the most, I chose to hide these things.  Bullying is a real problem and it is a bigger problem today than when I was a kid 30+ years ago.  With the aid of technology, bullying has no boundaries.  Those who have a compassionate heart may ask; why does God allow these things to happen.  I do not have the answer for every situation, but what I do know is this; God used my weakness and my hurts to make me who I am today.  For this reason, I am grateful.  God fulfilled in me what He promised about the blind man in John Chapter 9.

John 9:3 "Neither this man nor his parents sinned," said Jesus, "but this happened so that the work of God might be displayed in his life.


This picture is not related to the story, it's just a picture of me taking care of a little guy in Romania during a mission trip.  

I encourage you to READ my other posts,they tell the whole story.
 You will see how I found HOPE not in religion, but in a relationship with the living God.




May my life be the evidence of His love.

5 comments:

  1. I have a feeling that this will have a far greater impact than you can imagine, even if you cannot see the results. Thank you for sharing your stories and following the instructions you've been given. For it was because of your decision to say "yes" that has put you in the place you are today, and has allowed the word to reach those who would not have had heard it before. Thank you for everything you do on a daily basis for the youth. It has been an inspiration to see.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks Lacy, love ya, keep the faith.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bill I know you don't really know me but you where one of the people that worked on my son on November 4th 2011 the worst day of my life! you are so right when you say that you hide it from the people that are the most inportant people in your life. I think about you a lot and would really like to meet you at some point. Thank you for all that you do and all that you are! Christine Woods

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christine,
      I have been through a lot, and I have experienced a lot personally and professionaly. God has placed a heavy burden on my heart to share my story. So here it is, the blog. My hope and prayer is that God will use my story and my life to be the proof and evidence of His love. I am ok with meeting you and your family. you can contact me @ bill.butcherjr@gmail.com you can also find me on facebook.

      Delete
  4. Bill, this is such a powerful message. Bullying is a huge problem and utterly disgusting. I love how honest you are in your wisdom. In public school, you will always have bullying in some form, and I don't think God wants these bad things to happen, but like you said, God can use those bad things for good. "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to His purpose." Romans 8:28

    ReplyDelete