Sunday, October 14, 2012

There is a God!


     There is a God; at least that is what I thought for a moment.  Little did I know that this brief encounter would change my life forever.  Let me start by saying, no one really has a clue how much God can use just the little things in life.   Just a simple intentional smile or even a genuine hello can make a life changing difference.  Most people have no clue what the person next to them is going through.  Chances are they have things they are dealing with that you cannot even imagine.  It never fails; just when you think you have it bad, you find out someone has it even worse.  Think twice before you react negatively or even ignore someone who for some unknown reason gets your attention.  It may be the kid sitting all alone, it may be the single mom trying to buy groceries, it may be the stranded traveler, it may be the angry co-worker, it could even be the sweet old man eating lunch all alone.  I'm just saying, opportunities await us every day to make a huge difference by just saying hello.  All we need to do is simply open our eyes.

Going back to my sophomore year of high school:  

     My friend, Joe and I are walking into the high school on a cool fall day.  As we enter the outer doors by the gym and locker room, my eyes are immediately fixed.  Wow, I thought, she is absolutely beautiful.  What I wouldn’t give to date her.  There she stood leaning against the far wall.  White sneakers, blue jeans, yellow Wyoming hoodie, face like an angel, eyes of blue, hair blonde like the sands on the beach, and a smile that just makes your heart melt.  In addition, she is the captain of the flag corp.  Wishful thinking you moron, I thought, why would any girl like that even give you the time of day.  Ok, stupid thought, but I can at least dream.  Hey Joe! What? Do you see that girl over there? With a puzzled look on his face he replies, Which one? The one leaning against the wall in the yellow hoodie.  Joe grins and says, what about her?  I am going to marry her someday.  Then came the punch to the shoulder.  What did you do that for Joe?  Because, I am going to go tell her.  No you're not.  Oh yes I am…"Hey Carri" Joe shouts.  Of course I run.

      A few weeks go by and as usual, I go to meet Joe by his truck after school.  He was usually my ride.  As I get close enough to the truck I suddenly realize, there stands that girl.  You know the one I said I would marry someday.  Before I can turn and hide Joe shouts Hey Bill!.  Hey Joe.  Bill this is Carri, she is a good friend of mine. With my head held low and with a nervous voice I said, um hi.  Conveniently, that day, Joe just happened to have too many people to take home.  Two of us had to ride in the bed of the pickup.  You guessed it, Carri and me.  I had never felt so nervous in my life, my heart was pounding for fear and excitement at the same time.  What do I say?  Note to self, do not say a word she will think you are an idiot and never speak to you again.  Besides she is gorgeous, popular, and way out of your league. The engine cranks and Joe slowly leaves the parking lot.  As we come to the exit from the school, Joe gazes back in his rear view mirror and then proceeds to floor the gas and turn as sharp as possible.  Carri goes flying across the bed of the truck and just before she is launched into the atmosphere, she just happens to grab a hold of my leg and latches on for dear life.  Immediate thought, "There Is a God!"  Our eyes meet for the very first time.  Hi! I'm Carri. It's nice to meet you, Bill. 

      Carri became my best friend from that day forward.  I do not say that loosely.  Every day she would ask how I was and give me a real hug.  Short answers were never good enough for her. If I didn’t give her a genuine answer, she wouldn’t leave my side until I did.  For the first time in my life, someone really did care.  She would smile every time she saw my face.  I could not even attempt to pass her unnoticed in the hallways of school.  If she were anywhere close by, I would always hear, "Hey, Bill, come here."  Most of the time that was always followed by a hug.  What I was looking for I finally found.  My heart felt good every time I was in her presence.  Why, because she was real and she truly cared.  She always wanted to know how I really felt and she always wanted to give me a hug.  I looked forward to seeing Carri's face each day.  Why I would even skip the beach just to go to school and get a least one hug. 

      I did not know what it was, but there was something very special and very different about this girl.  Just the thought of her being my friend made my heart feel good.  Whatever it was, I wanted it and I wanted more of it.  I now had a reason to live.  No matter what, I was not going to mess her life up.  This girl was going to be treated like a queen, even if she had a tad bit of tomboy in her.  I found that cute. 
     One person is all it took to give me just a hint of hope and joy.  A chance encounter, probably not.  God knew what He was doing.  I just was not able to see His light, yet. 

 
My AMAZING wife, serving on the mission field in Nicaragua. 
 

Matthew 5:16 In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven.
At the time I saw the light, I just did not know what it was.

May my life be the proof and evidence of His love.

No comments:

Post a Comment