Sunday, October 21, 2012

We Are Having a Baby and We Will Go to Church

     Carri and I had been married a little over 3 months when we discovered we were going to have a baby. Without being too dramatic, which I was, we were very excited! Bringing a child into this world has a way of changing the way you look at things. Not only the way you look at things, but also how you are living your life. You are no longer responsible for just yourself; you are now responsible for the innocent life of an unborn child. When that child enters this world, it is your responsibility to raise and nurture them. A parent’s greatest desire is to have a healthy baby that grows into a successful adult. Have you ever heard a parent express desire to have a sick baby, and hope that they will grow and become a failure in life? Of course not.
      After the initial shock, awe and excitement was over, Carri decided we needed to take a closer look at our spiritual life. Me, I did not care much about spiritual stuff. Besides I got what I wanted, I was married to the girl of my dreams. Out of respect for my wife, I listened and did not argue. Here is what she said: “This child is God’s gift to us and we will raise this child as His. We will go to church.” No problem with me in that statement, going to church got me what I wanted. I wanted Carri, I went to church, and I got Carri. So yea, going to church and raising our child in church could not be a bad thing.
Before Carri and I  married, we did stray away from the church. Part of it was school and part of it was lack of motivation. Carri was in RN school and I was in paramedic school. We were busy. Honestly, we were not living the best of lives either. I still did not have a healthy respect for God’s word or His church. My language was not the best, and neither was my perspective on who Christ really was. We had become what the Bible describes as luke warm. We were neither hot nor cold; we were just doing our thing.  I was pretty much clueless.  
      Now it was time to get serious and do what was right. We wanted to give our child the best chance she could have in life. Having God on your side was a good thing. So obviously in my mind going to church was a great way to do that, especially on Christmas and Easter. I was sure that is when He paid the most attention to who was actually in church. Well guess what? Carri meant every Sunday. She got out a phone book, twirled her finger around with her eyes closed and randomly chose a church. Her finger landed on “The Church of The Cross, in Coral Springs Florida”. This Church just happened to be 2 blocks from our home.  It was almost across the street from Eagle Trace golf course, where they filmed "Caddy Shack." This had to be a sign, so I ignorantly thought. 
        
  We began attending the Church of the Cross, a small Southern Baptist congregation. Within a few short weeks an older couple introduced themselves to us. Larry and Susan Keciema. I’m pretty sure I spelled their last name wrong. They were such an amazing couple. When they introduced themselves to us simply stated, “We just want to be here for you guys, if you ever need anything we want to help”. Larry and Susan took us in as their kids kind of. They would pray with us, offer us advice when we asked, and they even spent time with us. Frequently we would be invited to their home for dinner or just a friendly visit. I remember so clearly one day, Larry said to me, “Bill you are going to make a good deacon someday.” I had no idea what he meant, but I had this vision of me wearing a religious gown with royal colors holding a candle on a stick and chanting religious chants. I thought to myself, “OK, I think not. If Larry only knew who I really was”. I ‘m pretty sure I just smiled and said thanks Larry.
      What I did not know at that time is that God was about to use Larry to open my eyes to who He really was. And that will be tomorrow’s blog. 
 
This is a night time Revival Crusade in Nicaragua
during a R.H.E.M.A. mission trip
 
      Get in a Church where God’s true word is preached. There you will find encouragement, inspiration, God’s presence, and God’s people. I’m not just talking about any church; I’m talking about God’s church. You will recognize it by the affirmation you feel within your heart. You will know it is the right place, because you will know in your heart, “This is where I belong.” I knew it, the first time we attended the Church of the Cross. We were welcomed and accepted immediately without hesitation, and we felt God’s word speaking to our hearts as it was being preached. That feeling I got when I first met Carri, and that feeling I got the first time I went to a Christian church, well it was back and it was even more powerful than before.
Hebrews 10:25 Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another--and all the more as you see the Day approaching.
 
May my life be the proof and evidence of His love!

1 comment:

  1. At first I thought it said that we're having a baby and we will have at church. XD but wow what a beautiful post. I wish you the best of luck in your family. ^_^ There is so much love, and caring in this story, that I bet your family will be filled with bliss. Hope you guys stay together for a very, very long time! :-) Just remember that anything is possible and that we all can get through everything. :-)

    -BeeutifulKaren. c:

    ReplyDelete