Friday, November 30, 2012

Boy Was I Wrong

     All of the foreign mission trips I have been on have been hosted through RHEMA.  Since our trips are hosted through an outside organization, we get to meet people from all over.  Most of them are from the U.S.A.  Usually there will be some people that you have never met before. 

     One year, I made a huge mistake.  A mistake that taught me a very valuable lesson.  I judged someone by my first impression.  The mission team was meeting in a side room and in walked a younger looking guy.  His hair was shaved all around his head leaving a circle of long hair on top of his head.  He had pulled what hair he did have into a pony tail.  He was wearing baggy pants, like really baggy pants.  At least we couldn't see his boxers.  When he spoke, everything was a joke.  I love jokes I really do.  I love to laugh and cut up, when it is appropriate.  Our morning briefing, prayer, and bible study just did not seem like an appropriate time to me for cutting up.  But for whatever reason, this guy thought everything was a joke.  He never said anything inappropriate, it was just a tad obnoxious.  I couldn't help but laugh though, he was pretty funny.  My impression, "This guy is a thug, he looks like a thug.  He is probably a new christian and doesn't know how to act right yet. Probably his pastor thought it would be a great idea to take him on this mission trip so he can learn to be a better Christian."

     Oh boy was I wrong, dead wrong.  Payaso, the thug, was actually CHAGY the clown.  That morning was the first and last time I saw what appeared to be a thug.  From that morning on, Payaso transformed himself into CHAGY the clown.  He was hysterical! One of the funniest people I have ever met.  CHAGY went ever where we went and shared the gospel through the image of a clown.  When he was done at the medical clinics, he went to the streets, the schools, and even the evening crusaides. CHAGY never quit.  He worked harder than anyone I have ever worked with before.  He was like the energizer bunny, nothing stopped him.  His passion to serve and reach anyone and everyone was relentless.  This thug/clown was more serious about his faith and reaching the lost than all my years combined.

CHAGY

     CHAGY became a role model to me, and inspiration, and example of how passionate we needed to be with sharing our faith.  He was not a thug, he was the humblest of men I have ever met.  He dresses up as a clown everyday and goes out in public so people will look, stare and laugh at him.  When they do, He proves to them that their impression is wrong and that he is a messenger for the Lord. 


CHAGY sharing the gospel outside a medical clinic

     The final night of the crusaids, CHAGY shared his testimony and how he spent his life hiding behind things pretending to be what he was not.  As he shared how God forgave him and cleansed him, he slowly removed his clown makeup, costume, and image.  When he was finished the crowed got to see who CHAGY really was, he was Payaso, a hispanic man who looked just everyone else.  He was a regular guy who had the same trials, struggles, fears, hurts, and worries as every other guy.  CHAGY/Payaso ended up being one of the most powerful evangleist I have ever met.  He has become one of my heroes in the faith, a mentor, and an example of how passionate I need to be.  It was also proof, that God can and will use anyone who is willing.  God does not callt he qualified, He qualifies the called.

CHAGY sharing the gospel with homeless kids
outside our hotel, just before leaving for missions
  
     Check him out on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/#!/payaso.chagy?fref=ts

Matthew 7:1-5 
"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. 2 For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. 3 "Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? 4 How can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? 5 You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye.
We are not called to judge, but we are called to rebuke our brothers for their sin.  But until we are right witht he Lord, how can we give directin to our brother?

May my life be the proof and evidence of His love!

2 comments:

  1. That's my Chaggy!!Sorry! the Chaggy of the Lord.Recuerdo cuando le invité a visitar un hogar de mujeres ex-adictas rescatadas de la calle.Fué una experiencia hermosa que hace mucho tiempo y aun la recuerdo.Aquellas mujeres lo disfrutaron tanto!Y todo culminó dándome él las gracias por haberle invitado. Gratificante experiencia en mi vida. Gracias Chaggy. Por supuesto, toda la gloria, la honra para nuestro Señor. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful tribute of Chagy's life serving the Lord through global missions!
    I wrote about a similar "visual deception" on my blog site... http://wp.me/pAK6C-7d
    Blessings on your own journey! JA Lienemann

    ReplyDelete