Friday, November 23, 2012

God Knows Your Needs and He Rewards Faithfulness


     During the Spring of 2010, Carri and I had to make a very difficult decision.  A decision that had a direct impact on our financial future and the stability of our home and family.  Like most people we made our mistakes and as a result placed ourselves in bondage to debt.  I am not proud of it and wish I knew then what I know now.  Never place yourself in bondage to debt.

     The effects of Huntington's disease had taken enough toll on Carri mentally and emotionally, that her job had become a burden to heavy to bear.  We knew that this day would come, and we always hoped that it would be after our children were grown and graduated.  It did not wait.  After a season of sincere prayer, Carri and I both agreed that it was time for her to resign the teaching position that she held at the local college.  Carri had been teaching students to become registered nurses for 10+ years.

     After making this decision, the pursuit started for me to take on another job.  We both knew that if we were going to make it, I was going to have to find a second job.  We also knew that we were going to have to find a way to pay off a huge amount of worthless debt.  Our incomes were pretty much split 50/50.  And yes we were living check to check.  We were about to loose half of our income.

     The first thing we did was to cash in Carri's retirement.  We saw no other option other than bankruptcy.  Bankruptcy was not an option.  We acquired the debt, we were responsible for paying that debt back.  It was hard, but rewarding at the same time.  Cashing in early does not come without penalty.  We lost about half of the money to penalties and increased taxes.  Our financial advisor advised us strongly against cashing in.  She understood the great loss.  In our hearts we new it was the right thing to do.  We had to take the loss in order to better ensure our future but more importantly the ministry God had given us.  In doing so we were able to bring about a piece of mind.  A large portion of the debt we owed had been redeemed.

     However that was still not good enough.  It was going to take more just to make monthly payments and keep food on our table.  I began to work extra when I could for my current employer.   Carri accepted a part time job with a Hospice program.  That may seem like more stress, but it has actually become a ministry for Carri.  She can relate dieing, and has something more to offer.  Her hours are limited, but seem to come just at the right time.  At the same time I was searching for a second job.  It seemed like every option I found had a direct impact on my ability to continue leading our youth group on Wednesday nights and Sunday morning bible classes.

     Needless to say, I became extremely frustrated.  I knew in my heart God had called me to ministry.  If God had called me to ministry then why would He take me out of it because of the need for income?  He wouldn't.  I began to pray "Lord you know my needs, and I trust in you to provide.  committing to a job that involves working on Wednesdays and Sundays in not an option. I refuse to compromise the ministry you have called me to."  Let me tell you, that prayer alone pretty much eliminated every plausible option I had for a stable income.  There was nothing left.  Yes I became stressed and worried.  I did not know how I was going to provide for my family.  I was willing to sell all we had in order to make it happen.  Some things you just can't sell.  Like medical debt.  Over the previous few years and even recent months we had acquired medical debt that weighed a heavy burden.  Like every other debt, we were going to pay back what we owed and still owe.

     I was sincere in my prayer in not compromising the ministry God had called me to.  But I also needed a sign, a sign only from God that I was being faithful and doing the right thing.  Randomly one Sunday after church services, our pastor said he needed to talk to me.  I thought for sure he knew the problems we faced and he was going to inform me that he was going to find a youth pastor to fill my role.  To my surprise he said this "The church affirms your call to ministry and we want to ordain you into the ministry.  We also want to hire you part time.  we can not afford to pay you much, but we feel led to pay you something."  "WOW!" are you serious? tears poured out of my eyes.  Did I really just receive the sign I had asked God for?  yes I did!

Matthew 6:31-34 So do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' 32 For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. 33 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. 34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own. 

This has nothing really to do with this Blog post.
It is a handmade desert that was prepared and
served to our mission team while we were serving
in Satu Mare, Romania.  It was AWESOME!
it was blessing beyond what we deserved, a special treat!


     Easter Sunday April 4, 2010 I was ordained into the ministry.   It was one of the greatest highlights of my life.  Sure things are tough, but that does not matter.  The investment Carri and I are now making is not in a retirement, not in things that will fall apart and be destroyed.  We are investing in something money can not buy.  We are committed to investing into peoples lives.
 


This is a picture of Hero Square in Budapest, Hungary.
I can't help but imagine Hero square in Heaven.
I can see the Throne of Christ at the center and
all around Him will be piled the trophies and rewards
we have received for what we did in His name while
on this earth.  My reward will be the giving back to
Christ the rewards that He has given to me.


Matthew 6:19-21  "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. 20 But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also

May my life be the proof and evidence of His love!

No comments:

Post a Comment