Saturday, December 1, 2012

Giving Out of Need, Giving the Best of What You Have

    November 2010, I was once again in Nicaragua on a mission trip.  One thing I learned is that you never expect anything.  Missions requires flexibility and patience.  This particular year, I met a youth pastor from Missouri.  He was a younger guy, but we still had a lot in common since we both worked with youth.  His name is Chris, and I was blessed to serve with him in 2011 as well.  Hope I get the opportunity again someday. 

     This particular trip, Chris was asked to preach at a remote church that had requested us to come.  Immediately Chris agreed.  Typically what we do is send a couple people with the pastor so he is not alone.  Also it gives us a chance to share a brief testimony.  When asked who wanted to go with Chris, Nobody raised their hands.  They had all decided where and who they were going with earlier that day.  Since Chris's church was an add on nobody was really prepared our thought about it.  I on the other hand said I would love to go with Chris. 

     The bus ride took about an hour to an hour and a half to reach our destination deep in the Forest/jungle.  Chris and I kind of joked that maybe our pastors had paid good money for the bus driver to get rid of us.  When the bus driver said we had arrived and their was no civilization in site and only jungle trees and bushes, we really began to wonder. 

     We wandered down a short path that led to a very quaint and lively little church.  The building was open to the air and maybe could have sat 20 people comfortably.  The crowed that gathered was probably close to 70-80.  People were excited that the Americans had come.  They treated us like we were famous.  The hospitality was so comforting. 
 
This is the church

     At the end of the church service, the pastor announced that he was going to sing a special for the Americans so that we could dance and rejoice.  I looked at Chris and Chris looked at me and I mouthed, "I can't dance."  Chris replied "me either, lets pray the music goes out."  by the way, they had electricity and the guitar and mic were crudely wired to an amp.  Quick prayer went up, then the pastor began to play and sing.  Chris and I both began to bust out the moves.  I tried to mimic what I had seen on Madagascar and Chris well I don't know what you would call it.  just kidding.  Just as the music started, God answered our prayer, the power went out.  Neither one of us had to dance.  The pastor was so sorry and so apologetic.  We were both like "no really it is ok."

      At the very end, a lady approached us with a silver colored tray with a white linen cloth covering whatever was on the tray.  Our interpreter informed us, that the entire village had gotten together to give us both a gift.  They wanted us to have something to show their appreciation.  I was excited, I imagined all kinds of ornate little hand crafted trinkets that I could take home and proudly display.  The pastor voiced a prayer over us and then uncovered the mysterious gift.  What I saw was so much more than what I had anticipated.  It was two juice boxes and two packs of crackers.  The pastor and all the people I could see where so excited. You could see the anticipation on their faces of how proud they were of the gift they had provided.  Their faces were like little children giving their parent something they had made. 

     I have never felt so humbled in my life.  To me this gift was so small and insignificant.  I never would have considered it a gift to give to two visiting pastors from another country.  But yet, it was so much more than anything I would have chosen.  In perspective to their poverty, this was something only reserved for special occasions.  This was not a common snack for any child in their community.  It truly was a treasure, the equivalent of a gourmet dinner.  They had nothing, remember we drove over an hour to get to this village.  There was nothing.  To this day I wished I had kept the juice box and crackers so I could proudly display them in my home. They gave out of their need giving us the best of what they had.  We clutch proudly to our riches.  I don't want to be like that, I want to give just as they did.
 

This is what they used to take up their offerings

Mark 12: 41-44 Jesus sat down opposite the place where the offerings were put and watched the crowd putting their money into the temple treasury. Many rich people threw in large amounts. 42 But a poor widow came and put in two very small copper coins, worth only a fraction of a penny. 43 Calling his disciples to him, Jesus said, "I tell you the truth, this poor widow has put more into the treasury than all the others. 44 They all gave out of their wealth; but she, out of her poverty, put in everything--all she had to live on."
May my life be the proof and evidence of His love! 

No comments:

Post a Comment