Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Ignored and Rejected Because He Was Deemed Nasty


     Dispatch called and said, “We have a 20 year old male patient that is to be transported to another hospital for liver failure and multi system complications.”  My partner and I got into the ambulance and headed for the hospital to pick up the patient and transport him to another facility. 

     Upon arrival at the nurses’ station, I received report from his nurse.  She gave me the long complicated medical history of this patient.  Basically, he was a drug abuser, but had been clean for several months.  As a result, he had contracted numerous sexually transmitted diseases, Hepatitis, and possibly HIV. This young man was approaching the end of his life rapidly.  He was going to a higher acuity facility for liver evaluation and treatment.  Because of his complicated medical history our facility was not equipped to handle such a case. 

     When the nurse was finished with report, she said to me “Good luck, he is a pretty nasty patient.  He has open wounds and sores all over his body.  You probably want to gown up and not just use gloves.”  What got my attention was the statement “Good luck; he is a pretty nasty patient.”  The way it was said and other things that were said around the nurses’ station made it sound like they were happy to get rid of their “nasty patient.”  It was as if he was not even a human being, just something nasty.

     I went into his room, introduced myself and asked if there was anything he needed before we left for our 3 hour trip.  He said “no, I’m good.”  He never looked at me, his face had no visible emotion, and he just seemed very withdrawn.  There was no family, no friends, no anybody in his dark room. 

     Once we got in the ambulance, I tried to have some conversation.  Again, he would not look at me, his face remained flat with no emotion, and he appeared very withdrawn.  Nothing I said seemed to get anywhere.  I decided to kneel on the floor right by his side.  I said to him “look at me for a second.” Slowly he turned his gaze towards me.  Once our eyes met, I told him this “I am not afraid of you or what you have.  I care about you and what you are going through.  Will you tell me your story?”

     My new friend began to share his story, actually his regrets.  He shared how it all started in High school.  Marijuana was the start.  He said it was just friends having fun, and then it became alcohol, prescription meds, and ultimately meth.  He said “I have wasted and ruined my life because of the first hit of weed.  The rest of the story is about me trying to get that first high back.  Nothing worked twice so I always had to find something more.  Now my life is ruined, everyone hates me, and nobody wants me. I am disgusting, nasty and now I am dyeing alone.” 

     I asked him if he had a church family.  He said “not really, I tried going to church with my grandparents, but no one wanted me there.”  I asked if the pastor ever talked with him.  He said not really other than he would pray for him.  I then asked “Do you know where you are going when you die?” His eyes left mine and he said “Hell.”  I asked, “Do you think there is any hope for you?” after a long pause “There is no hope.”

     After I thought for a minute, I asked “What if you were wrong, would you want to know?”  “Of course I would want to know.”  “Can I share my story with you and what the bible says?” “Sure, why not.”

      I shared my testimony of my life, most of what is on this blog.  Then I shared the gospel of salvation.  I asked, “Have you ever heard that before?”  He said “no, never not even in my grandparent’s church.”  I then asked “Do you want to give your life to Christ and receive Him as your savior?”  With a huge smile on his face he replied “yes.”  I reached out my hand, without gloves, and took his.  I prayed out loud, and he prayed silently. 

Two homeless kids out front of a hotel
in Granada, Nicaragua.  Ignored and rejected.
We actually left clothes and food for them.

     What society deemed as nasty, disgusting and unworthy of social acceptance Christ deemed priceless.  Christ died for our sins, our filth, our nastiness, not our sanctity.  I don’t know what happened after we parted that day, but I do know that someday we will meet again.  Rejecting others because of their sin is even nastier than the wounds and scars they display. 

     When the religious leaders deemed a woman nasty and unworthy to live Jesus replied:  "If any one of you is without sin, let him be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7

May my life be the proof and evidence of His love!

1 comment: