Saturday, December 8, 2012

Your Son Will Not Survive the Next 24 Hours


     I had not been a youth pastor very long before I had to deal with one of the most difficult situations.  The kind that no one really wants to have to face.  It was definitely one of my worst fears. 

     It was a dreary day and a rather harsh storm was approaching.  Just before the storm hit our town, my cell phone rang.  "Bill, its Sam.  My nephew was shot in the head.  I need your help; I do not know what to do.  He is going to die.  Air Evac was able to leave with him just before the storm hit, they are flying him to Springfield."  My heart sank, I just felt sick to my stomach. 

     Immediately, I made plans to meet Sam and his sister at the church.  Carri and I were going to pick her up and drive her to Springfield to be with her son.  The weather was horrendous; I just kept thinking, "I have to get his mom to him before he dies."  It took us over two hours to reach the hospital.  It seemed liked days.  The whole time praying, "Please God let Slade be alive when we arrive."

     Once we finally reached the hospital, the neuro surgeon took Slade's mom into a consultation room and gave her the news.  "I'm sorry; your son will not survive the next 24 hours.  There is not much we can do." 
     After hearing the news, I went in to see Slade.  His lifeless body was lying on the bed with all kinds of IV's dripping, a ventilator cycling his respiration's and a flat line on the electrical brain activity.   Slade was already gone.  At this point, it was only machines keeping him alive. 

     I took Slade by the hand and just began to talk to him, and then I prayed.  "Not my will Lord, but yours.  If you choose to take Slade now, that is your choice.  If not, bring glory and honor to yourself.  Show people who you are by healing Slade.  There is nothing the doctors can do this time; it can only come from you."  After praying, a very calming sense of peace came over me.  I felt like God was saying, "It is all going to be ok, I'm going to do something amazing."

     Slade's story is a long complicated story.  It began April 26, 2011 when he was accidently shot through and through the head after he dropped a handgun on the floor.  So let me end by telling a quick story from today.

     Today, December 8, 2012 our community had a 5K race and auction for Clay.  Clay is one of our youth who has been battling leukemia for over a year now.  He is in desperate need of a bone marrow donor.  Please pray for Clay.  Today's benefit was to raise money for Clay and his family.  Let me tell you, our small town had a huge successful turnout. 

     Anyway, I have not been able to run for nearly a year because of some hip pain.  Today I decided, I was going to run.  If Clay is going to fight and not quit, I can run to show my support.  In less than a mile from the start of the race, we had to climb a long, steep hill.  I was about half way up when my chest began to hurt, my breathing was labored, and my legs were in excruciating pain.  I began to think, "I need to walk, and I can’t do this.  I have to do this, Clay is not quitting, and so neither can I.  I just cannot do this."  I went back and forth in my mind about running and walking. 



      At the top of the hill is the city cemetery.  I kind of had a funny thought in my head, "well if this kills me, at least I'm at the cemetery already."  Just as I convinced myself to walk, up pops the head of a familiar face walking towards me.  It was Slade, he was waving and smiling as each of the runners were passing by.  Immediately I thought, "I can't quit now, Slade is watching me."  I pressed on and finished the race, just like Slade. 

     Slade has made an almost complete recovery.  He is back in school, doing very well.  If you met him, you would never guess he should have died over a year and a half ago from a gunshot wound to the head.  He fought the fight to survive, and by the grace of God, he survived.  Today Clay is fighting to survive, and by the grace of God, he too will survive.  Please say a prayer for Slade and Clay today.  Both of these boys have a faith that is so strong, neither one of them has ever quit believing.  Whatever you are battling, do not quit.  Keep the faith and finish the race.  God wants to reward you.

2 Timothy 4:7-8
I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. 8 Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day--and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing.

May my life be the proof and evidence of His Love!

1 comment:

  1. Having met these two incredible boys, I am convinced that God is with them both and that prayer is what has seen them both through their struggles to survive!

    ReplyDelete