Monday, December 10, 2012

What a Fool, I Made My Shrine Out of God Given Skills


     I have been a medic for over 20 years now.  I when I first began a career in EMS, I had the Randy Rescue syndrome.  I thought I hung the moon because "Save Lives."  I must say I was proud of myself.  I graduated top of the class.  I was beyond proficient in all the basic and advance medical skills I was trained to do.  My clinical instructors always rated me above average.  I was confident, my peers were confident in me, my instructors were confident in me, and I knew it.  I was proud.

     Before I graduated paramedic school, I took the exam for Broward County EMS, now Broward County Fire Rescue.  This exam was mandatory if you wanted to be considered for a job.  When I took the exam, there were over 1200 candidates.  Every candidate was ranked from 1 to 1200+ based on their scores.  I was number 6.  Again, I had not even graduated school yet.  Oh yea! I was that good.  In fact, when a job came open, the top five were interviewed for the position.  Before I graduated, I was selected in round two after completing my interview and skills testing.  One problem, I was not a medic yet. It was not long after I graduated that I graduated that I did secure a job with the county.

     I was proud, my wife was proud, my family was proud, everyone who knew me was proud.  I was proud for a different reason.  I was proud because I thought more highly of myself.  I had become a public Hero.  Everyone else was proud because I had accomplished something honorable. 

     I would come home after very shift and brag to Carri about what "I" had done.  "I" performed all these advanced skills, "I" diagnosed a complicated patient, "I" had to take over because so and so could not do it, and "I" saved someone's life.  "I", "I", "I", "I", "I"… It was always "I."  Look what "I" did, guess what "I" did, you will not believe what "I" did. 

     I remember very distinctly one day, Carri said, "Are you listening to yourself?"  "What do you mean?" She said, "Everything you say is I.  Where is god in that?"  "I don't get what you are saying." Then Carri said this, "God gave you the skills and knowledge to do what you do.  I suggest you give Him the glory and praise before He takes it away from you."  I got mad and it did not sink in for a little while.

     After our talk, I began to notice, "I" was not doing so well anymore.  "I" was missing IV's, "I" was not able to intubate, "I" could not figure out what to treat, "I" had fallen off my self-made pedestal.  I had made myself a god.  I was a Randy Rescue, passionate about what I was doing that made myself a Para god. 

     I realized, exactly what Carri was saying, God had given me the skills and knowledge to do what He wanted me to do.  I had made it my own, all about me.  God had given me a ministry, and I made it my own shrine.  I got on my knees and asked God to forgive me for what I had done.  I tore down all those hypothetical alters, and newspaper shrines.  There is not one article that I have kept in my 20+ years to look back on and say, "This is what I did."  Sure, I tell stories, stories not about me but about God and what He has done.

      Every day before shift on my way to work I always pray "God you gave me these hands, you blessed me with the skills and knowledge to do this job.  Use me to bring yourself Glory.  Use me to reach those in need, those who are hurting, those who are facing the most difficult day of their lives to show them who you are.  May I be the proof and evidence of your love this day."  God has blessed me and restored skills back into my hands and knowledge back into my mind.  What I have now is a ministry, not a job. 

This is me on the left on the right is Jesus my interpreter.
In the middle is an 88 year old Nicaraguan man.
God allowed me to care for him
with the skills He blessed me with.
When we done, He gave his life to the Lord.  

Romans 11:18
do not boast over those branches. If you do, consider this: You do not support the root, but the root supports you.

Job 1:21
and said: "Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked I will depart. The LORD gave and the LORD has taken away; may the name of the LORD be praised."

May my life be the proof and evidence of His love!

No comments:

Post a Comment