Sunday, December 9, 2012

If You Will Just Give Me My Feet Back


     His name is Jorge'(well that's the name I have given him) Sadly I lost the paper that had his real name written on.  I first noticed him about 200 yards away from our medical clinic in Estale Nicaragua.  He got my attention because of his walk.  Jorge' was slow, unsteady, and using a makeshift cane.  I was pretty sure he was coming to see a doctor, but I was not certain.  I snapped a quick picture then returned to my station to see more patients. 

This is Jorge' Making his way to the medical clinic

     About 30 minutes had past when I noticed Jorge' enter the doorway of the clinic.  He waited probably another 2 hours before I was able to see him.  Jorge' had a kidney infection and needed antibiotics.  I thought that was all.  I was wrong.  Jorge' had a story to tell.

     Nearly a year prior, Jorge' was hit by a car while he was riding his bike to work.  Upon arrival at the hospital, they gave no hope for his survival.  Against all odds he survived, but not without complications.  Jorge' had severed his spine from the chest down.  From the middle of his back down, he was completely paralyzed.   Once he was stable enough, Jorge was sent home to spend the rest of his life in a bed.  He would be totally dependent on others and his life would now be shortened. 

     Jorge' shared with me how he begged the doctors to help him.  Repeatedly he was told, "There is nothing anyone can do for you."  That was not good enough for Jorge', so he turned to God.  Jorge' began to pray every day, "God If you will give me my feet back, I will give my life to walking the streets and preaching your word."  This prayer went on for weeks without any change.  Jorge' and his family began to pray and even fast. 

     Then one day, Jorge' began to move his toes.  The doctor informed him that it was not purposeful and it was a nerve response.  Jorge' and his family refused to believe the doctor.  They asked for more help and therapy, but they were refused.  The prayers did not cease and neither did the fasting. 

     At first, it was his toes, then his feet, ankles, knees, hips, waist, and back.  As the healing began Jorge' kept promising God "If you give me my feet back, I will walk the streets and preach your word."  Before long, Jorge' was sitting up again, then standing and now walking.  He has kept his promise to God.  Jorge' walks the streets and preaches God's word. 

     I asked, If I could take his picture so that I could share his story with the world.  Jorge' smiled and said, "Yes, for sure please do."
This is Jorge' smiling for the camera!

Matthew 9:1-8 1
Jesus stepped into a boat, crossed over and came to his own town.2 Some men brought to him a paralytic, lying on a mat. When Jesus saw their faith, he said to the paralytic, "Take heart, son; your sins are forgiven."3 At this, some of the teachers of the law said to themselves, "This fellow is blaspheming!"4 Knowing their thoughts, Jesus said, "Why do you entertain evil thoughts in your hearts?5Which is easier: to say, 'Your sins are forgiven,' or to say, 'Get up and walk'?6But so that you may know that the Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins . . ." Then he said to the paralytic,Get up, take your mat and go home."7 And the man got up and went home. 8 When the crowd saw this, they were filled with awe; and they praised God, who had given such authority to men.

May my life be the proof and evidence of His love!

No comments:

Post a Comment