Friday, December 28, 2012

Praise You In The Storm

When my oldest daughter was about 4, she and I were traveling to the airport to pick up her grandpa. I was driving a Plymouth voyager minivan. The kind that had the very low aerodynamic front end. The weather was really bad with rain and high winds, visibility was horrible. Kenzie was crying and kept saying "I'm scarred we are going to die." She was visibly afraid as she was crying and shaking in her car seat. I could see the fear in her eyes.

I remember trying to calm her down and assure her that we would be ok. the further we drove the more afraid she became. finally, I said to her: "lets pray that God will watch over us and protect us from the storm." Kenzie said "ok, pray the other cars won't hit us either." I prayed and immediately she calmed down.

It was not but maybe two to three minutes after I prayed that we almost wrecked. A large full size pickup truck pulled out in front of us. I hit the brakes, we skidded and swerved and somehow was able to maintain control on the wet roads. I then said to Kenzie, "see God is watching out for us, we are ok." she said "I know He is."

Inside my head, I was mad at the other driver for being so careless and nearly causing us a serious wreck. I was also thankful that the Lord spared us. I remember also thinking, thanks God for showing Kenzie you hear our prayers. But I had no idea that minutes later that careless driver would be the one to save our lives.

We drove another three to four miles when all of the sudden, a vehicle heading in the opposite direction crossed the center line and hit the large pickup truck head on. Both occupants of the other vehicle were killed instantly. The driver of the pickup in front of us suffered some bruises to her chest. When it was all said and done, I realized that if it had been my van, the other car would have done much more extensive damage. Probably would have killed me and possible kenzie. What saved the lady in the other vehicle was the size and strength of her truck. Well actually God saved her using what she was driving.

Just know, God uses bad for good and sometimes He just doesn't make sense. That day he chose to use a near accident to keep us from a fatal one. Trust Him, He is in control.

Psalm 121:1-8 I lift up my eyes to the hills-- where does my help come from?2 My help comes from the LORD, the Maker of heaven and earth.3 He will not let your foot slip-- he who watches over you will not slumber;4indeed, he who watches over Israel will neither slumber nor sleep.5 The LORD watches over you-- the LORD is your shade at your right hand;6 the sun will not harm you by day, nor the moon by night.7The LORD will keep you from all harm-- he will watch over your life;8 the LORD will watch over your coming and going both now and forevermore.

May my life be the proof and evidence of His love!


1 comment:

  1. Such an amazing Lord we are blessed enough to serve!

    ReplyDelete