Tuesday, December 4, 2012

If You are a Christian, You are Always on a Mission

     I have been sharing a lot lately on my experiences in Nicaragua, but this time I want to share an experience from here in the USA.  When I am on an intentional mission trip, I like to go all out.  I want to take in as much as possible each and every day and every opportunity.  It should not be that way.  I should be on fire with a passion to experience God everyday, not just on some planned mission trip.  Our lives are a mission field.  when has God ever said to take a break?  sure Sunday is the Sabbath day, but even Jesus didn't quit just because it was Sunday.

     Anyway, this past summer I had taken a group of youth to Nashville , Tennessee on an MFUGE mission trip.  MFUGE is like church camp, revival and mission trip on steroids.  I have seen our youth grow so much spiritually through these MFUGE experiences.  For me its alike a vacation that I take 15-20 teenagers on. I absolutely love it.  there is no better way I have found to spend your time off than serving the Lord.

     One night, I was pretty excited.  The camp pastor was going to share the gospel through hand painted graffiti art.  It sounded really cool.  I was excited all day for that nights worship service.   We had returned from our mission track sites that afternoon and I needed gas.  I drove over to the gas station right across from the college and started filling up.  While I was at the pump, some homeless guy shouted "Flippin Arkansas, I've been there."    Of course my immediate thought was "Next he is going to ask for some money, I really don't have time for this.  I need to get back for worship." I turned and smiled and said "cool, not very many people have heard of Flippin, Arkansas."  Then I went in to pay for the gas I had just pumped.

    When I came back out to leave, the van wouldn't start.  I called my wife for a jump, then I said to God "OK , fine I will go talk to the homeless dude, I get it, that is what you want me to do."  So I talked tot he homeless guy.  Come to find out he really had been to Flippin, Arkansas.  He wasn't just saying it because it was on the side of the church van, he really had lived in Flippin before.  He knew way too much that only someone who had been to Flippin would have known.

     I asked how he ended up in Nashville.  He told me how he was a successful business man in our area years ago.  He had managed a furniture store, that I was familiar with.  He told me that he started drinking alcohol socially and then it became an addiction.  He then became an alcoholic and then a drug addict. His wife told him it was either her or the alcohol and drugs.  He said he was so addicted that he lost his wife.  He had wished he had never taken the first drink.  The first drink, it was for social reasons.  He had made money and his family associated with wealthier people because of his line o f business.   It was the social thing to do.

     I asked him why he called me over to talk, was there something he wanted me to do.  He said  "I know what you are thinking, I want money.  Please do not give me money, I will only buy stuff I do not need.  I just want someone to pray for me.  I am a Christian and I have lost my way.  Alcohol and drugs became my god and now my life is ruined.  I need Christ to be Lord of my life again.  He is the only hope I have."

     Carri and I both prayed with him, and then I went to our van and pulled out some snacks and gator aid.  I went back to give him what I had and he politely refused by saying "I don't deserve what you have to offer me, I can't take from you."  I said "I am giving to you because of what Christ has done for me.  Its not about what you deserve, none of us deserve good things, Christ died for our undeserving lives so that we can live.  The least I can do is care for those in need just as He did."  I also told him, "think of this as a divine appointment, god is trying to show you He still cares."

When I was done and had said goodbye, I walked back over to the van, started it right up and drove away. there is more to this story.  I will share the rest of it next time.

This picture has nothing to do with this story, but it is a homeless kid in Nicaragua. He was laying on the ground out front of our hotel.  Do not ignore the poor and needy.We are called to care for them as well by meeting their needs.

Luke 14:13-14
 But when you give a banquet, invite the poor, the crippled, the lame, the blind, 14 and you will be blessed. Although they cannot repay you, you will be repaid at the resurrection of the righteous."

May my life be the proof and evidence of His love!

No comments:

Post a Comment